What We Do?
The Center for Health Equity Research (CHER) brings together collaborative, multidisciplinary teams of scholars and community members to improve health in underserved communities through a shared commitment to health equity, innovation, and translational research.
News & Announcements
- 2015 Merrimon Lecturer: H. Gilbert Welch, Professor of Medicine, Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Practice, will present “Seven Assumptions that Drive Too Much Health Care.” Thursday, March 5 2015: 12:00-1:30pm, G100, Bondurant Hall, UNC School of Medicine- Free and Open to the Public
- Carolina Seminar for Behavioral Research on Minority Populations– Dr. Debra Franko, Professor and Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs, Department of Counseling and Applied Educational Psychology, Northeastern University, presenting “From Healthy Eating to Eating Disorder: Learning from Racial/Ethnic Minority Adolescents and Adults” Friday April 10, 2015 at 1PM- Davie Hall 347- Refreshments Served!
- Carolina Seminar for Behavioral Research on Minority Populations – Vanessa Volpe, doctoral student, Developmental Psychology, UNC, presenting, ““There Was Nothing Else to Do”: Coping Strategies for Black Students in the Face of Racial Discrimination.” Thursday March 26, 2015 at 3PM- Davie Hall 347- Refreshments Served!
- CHER Faculty Member, Dr. Allison Aiello, will present at the 36th Annual Minority Conference on Friday February 27, 2015 from 1:30-2:30PM, at the UNC Friday Center. This year’s theme is “Reaching for the American Dream: Economic Mobility and Minority Health.” To Register: click here
- The 36th Annual Minority Health Conference will be Friday February 27, 2015, at the UNC Friday Center. This year’s theme is “Reaching for the American Dream: Economic Mobility and Minority Health.” To Register: click here
- Ethnicity, Culture and Health outcomes (ECHO) Seminar Series 2015 Schedule
- Congratulations to Milele Likivu Bynum, MD for her scholarly work, Walking in Faith (recognized by the American Academy of Family Physicians Schweitzer Fellowship and Awarded the 2015 Conference on Medical Student Education from the STFM).
- Academy Health releases- The State of Health Equity Research: Closing Knowledge Gaps to Address Inequalities
- Dr. Wizdom Powell’s NIH grant will address substance use in young adult black men
- Postdoctoral fellow Dr. Dana Carthron has received the Diversity Supplement Grant to further her research in behavior change interventions
- Research with Giselle Corbie-Smith- News Room-UNC Health Care
- CHER Faculty Spotlight: Cheryl Woods Giscombe feels deep commitment to public service
- Wizdom Powell’s webinar: Health Disparities in Boys and Men: Influence of Masculinity on Health Disparities and Equity focuses her work on masculinity and African American Men.
- Leveraging Culture to Address Health Inequalities: Examples from Native Communities – Workshop Summary
- UNC-CH Graduate Certificate in Participatory Research
- Other Health Disparities News and Announcements
- Dr. Giselle Corbie-Smith has been selected as this year’s recipient of the Faculty Mentoring Award by the Carolina Women’s Leadership Council
- Dr. Tiarney Ritchwood Awarded Visiting Fellow at the Research Education Institute for Diverse Scholars (REIDS) at Yale University
- Dr. Dana Carthron was accepted to the RWJF New Connections Eighth Annual Symposium
- Cheryl Giscombe recognized for the fifth class of Thorp Faculty Engaged Scholar
- CHER Faculty- Wizdom Powell-Hammond, PhD. awarded the 2014-2016 Kaiser Permanente Burch Minority Leadership Development Program